Hillel's key stakeholders - professional, lay and student leaders -- have helped Hillel earn an international reputation for creating quality campus communities. A key factor in this achievement has been our commitment to universal operating standards and practices as expressed through our accreditation process. Hillel is committed to excellence, innovation, accountability and results. Since its inception in 1991, accreditation has become a defining feature of a quality Hillel.
Today's challenge however is to go beyond "quality" to attain a level of excellence in every aspect of a Hillel's operation. The Standards of Excellence provide a blueprint for success for every Hillel. Each standard is listed and is followed by a series of practices that can be achieved.
The Standards of Excellence reflect our understanding of Hillel’s best work and what is possible within the movement. Some are basic, fundamental to what we do. Some are aspirant, the pinnacle of our current vision. They are based on the five goals of Hillel’s 2006 Strategic Plan:
1. Hillel will double the number of Jewish students involved in Jewish life and who have meaningful Jewish experiences.
2. Hillel will recruit, develop and retain highly talented professionals.
3. Hillel will be regarded by the campus community and administration as an indispensable partner in enhancing student life.
4. Hillel will embrace a culture of high-performance, excellence and collaboration.
5. Hillel will dramatically expand and diversify its funding sources.
We hope that the Standards will help Hillel leaders to fulfill our mission of enriching the lives of Jewish undergraduate and graduate students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world.