July 19, 2005Comments (0)
| E-mail this to a friend
The crisis in Darfur, Sudan is at the top of the Weinberg Tzedek Hillel's program for the upcoming academic year. Hillel is encouraging students to take three main actions about the crisis: spread the word, sign the petition and participate in the Luxury Fast on Oct. 6. Read on to find out more about these three initiatives and about other ways Hillel students, professionals and supporters can make a difference in the lives of those who are suffering.
Contact Weinberg Tzedek Hillel Fellow for more information about what you can do to bring justice to the victims of violence in Darfur.
- Attend the second annual National Student Leadership Conference for Darfur, sponsored by STAND (Students Taking Action Now: Darfur), at the U.S. Holocaust Holocaust Museum and Georgetown University on Aug. 11-14 to learn more about the genocide and set the coalition's agenda for 2005-06.
- Recruit other campus organizations to co-sponsor a Luxury Fast, an international initiative STAND is organizing for Oct. 6.
- Sign Texas Hillel's "White Rose Society" petition on Darfur to encourage the U.S. government to take action against the genocide.
- Join the "Sudan Leadership Team" at the 2005 Charles Schusterman International Student Leaders Assembly, where students will distribute Hillel's materials about Sudan and informally educate their friends at the conference. Students will be encouraged to sign the Hillel petition (based on the petition started by Texas Hillel's White Rose Society), visit the Hillel Web site and participate in the Luxury Fast.
- Sell green bracelets (to raise money for relief organizations), show a video from Oxfam America about Sudan and integrate a prayer for Sudan into Shabbat services.
- Work with the International Crisis Group (ICG) to plan a speaking tour for Sudanese refugees. Hillel will act as the lead convener on campuses, together with local STAND chapters, to build a coalition of organizations that will plan and publicize the speaking tour stops.