Note – when submitting application materials, cover letter and resume must be combined into a single attachment
The University of Wisconsin Foundation, a private non-profit organization dedicated to encouraging philanthropy on behalf of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, is seeking an experienced development director to join a team of professionals responsible for the private funds development programs at the UW-Madison. This newly created position will have primary responsibility for the planning, management, and implementation of a major gifts development program with UW Hillel. The Director of Development will be employed by the University of Wisconsin Foundation. While employed by the Foundation, the Director of Development will work and travel with the Director for Hillel and coordinate efforts with Hillel staff as appropriate.
Hillel, The Jewish Student Center at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, at the Barbara Hochberg Center for Jewish Student Life, serves over 5,000 Jewish students and faculty. Hillel provides a home and support to over 20 independent student organizations. Every expression of Jewish life is represented: religious, cultural, political, traditional and alternative. Hillel enables University of Wisconsin Jewish students to have a voice in their community - one that helps them maintain their ties to Judaism. Programs range from Shabbat dinners to Israel trips, social justice programs, peer mentoring and leadership training, and opportunities to learn, grow and teach others. Hillel at the UW has a prominent board of directors, including students, faculty, UW administrators, alumni, and parents. There is a robust professional team of eight full time and several part time staff members. UW Hillel has an annual operating budget of roughly $1 million, which includes annual campaign gifts of approximately $500,000, as well as annual grants, allocations, and endowment funds.
The successful candidate for this position will provide strategic leadership and management of development initiatives directed to the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of top prospects and donors for UW Hillel. The successful candidate will be a strategic, results-focused, dynamic and innovative team player who works collaboratively with colleagues at UW Hillel, in other UW-Madison programs, and in the Madison community.
The Director of Development will work collaboratively to accomplish the following objectives:
- Work with the UW Hillel Director to identify priorities and design and implement strategic development plans.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and manage a portfolio of top prospects and donors in order to secure major gifts in support of Hillel funding priorities. These priorities include endowed faculty positions, student scholarships, arts facilities, and interdisciplinary program initiatives and other special programs.
- Plan and conduct visits, events and other ongoing contacts to build relationships and interest in the Hillel mission among private stakeholders.
- Build, develop and maintain effective prospect identification tools to link potential donors with programs and needs.
- Build, develop and maintain strategies to enhance donor stewardship.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree; master’s degree in marketing, communication, non-profit management or business preferred
- 3 – 5 years of fund development experience, with focus on major gifts
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Self-directed, team player who has a strong work ethic and ability to multi-task
- Ability to work effectively with University officials, faculty and prominent alumni
- Ability to meet travel requirements (approx. 25%)
- Commitment to the values of the UW Foundation --
- The joy of giving and the power of philanthropy
- The transforming impact of the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- The treatment of all with respect, courtesy and dignity
- The inviolability of ethical behavior, honesty and integrity
- The sanctity of relationships
The Director of Development reports to a Vice President and Managing Group Leader at the Foundation. Depending on qualifications, this position may be filled at an Associate Director, Director or Senior Director level, consistent with the UW Foundation’s professional career progression plan. This is a full-time position involving travel. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefit program.
To apply, please click on the following link (note – when submitting application materials, cover letter and resume must be combined into a single attachment):
Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is November 21st, 2014.
University of Wisconsin Foundation
The University of Wisconsin Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer