Hillel works with students, campus professionals, Jewish communal and higher education leaders, and leading anti-hate organizations to proactively address and counter antisemitic activity on campus and in online spaces through varied initiatives and programs. We aim to empower Jewish students to speak out against hate, and we educate broader campus communities to ensure antisemitism is not tolerated at colleges and universities.
Since the terrorist attack on Israel by Hamas on October 7, antisemitic incidents against Jewish students on college campuses have reached alarmingly high rates, increasing by 700% over the same period last year. Hillel has been tracking these reported incidents and working around the clock with our partners to address these incidents and ensure that all Jewish students feel safe on campus.
Hillel will continue to be at the forefront of addressing campus antisemitism through comprehensive programs for students, staff and administrators, in order to ensure a safe and supportive campus climate for Jewish students at colleges and universities across the U.S.Adam Lehman, President and CEO of Hillel International
Top 10 Ways Hillel is Confronting Antisemitism on Campus
- Hillel RESPONDS to antisemitism whenever it occurs on campus, no matter where it comes from. Report an antisemitic incident and receive immediate support at reportcampushate.org.
- Hillel SAFEGUARDS Jewish students, faculty, and staff on college campuses by upgrading physical safety infrastructure and partnering with law enforcement to identify and respond to antisemitic activity 24/7.
- Hillel CHAMPIONS the rights, safety, and security of Jewish college students whenever they are threatened.
- Hillel SUPPORTS and EMPOWERS Jewish students to express pride in their community, live joyful Jewish lives, and celebrate their connections to Israel without fear.
- Hillel PARTNERS with university leadership to create safe and supportive campus environments for Jewish students, faculty, and staff — and trains university administrators on best practices to respond to antisemitism when it happens.
- Hillel EDUCATES campus communities about antisemitism and the Jewish people’s connection to Israel.
- Hillel LEADS a diverse coalition of partners that includes universities, law enforcement, campus clubs, and local and national organizations committed to ensuring that Jewish students have a college experience free from antisemitism, hate, or bias.
- Hillel PROVIDES free legal assistance and representation to Jewish college students who have been impacted by antisemitism through our Campus Antisemitism Legal Line (CALL), at www.legal-protection.org.
- Hillel CONNECTS the nation’s top Jewish and Israel student leaders into a united network of like-minded peers and trains them so they have the confidence and technical skills to lead their generation.
- Hillel CELEBRATES Jewish life. One of the best ways to counter antisemitism is by building vibrant Jewish campus communities, and Hillel has been creating a safe and welcoming home for Jewish students on campus for 100 years, and counting.
Research about Antisemitism on Campus:
In 2021, Hillel partnered with the ADL on a nationally-representative survey of Jewish college students in the U.S. The survey, conducted by online survey and analytics company College Pulse, found that antisemitism is a looming and present threat for Jewish college students, with one in three students personally experiencing antisemitic hate directed at them during the 2020–2021 academic year. The survey also found that most students who experienced antisemitic activity on campus did not report it, suggesting the frequency of incidents on campus is larger than previously thought. Read more